As I've mentioned here on the blog before, I'm lucky enough to have a small (free!) gym at my workplace. It's pretty darn awesome, really -- there are about 40 people that work in the building, and only a handful of us frequent the gym on a regular basis, so there's not much competition for workout space. Pretty great, right?
Well, I've come to realize that in addition to the convenience factor, another perk is that I don't really have to deal with a lot of the typical gripes that come along with using a public gym -- I find that because all of us who use the space are friends & co-workers, we're all really respectful of the space and of each other.
The reason I'm bring this up is not to brag about my awesome gym situation, but to set the scene for the not so lovely gym experience I had yesterday :)
I work for the military, and we are evaluated on our fitness annually. I was scheduled for my fitness test yesterday morning, and so I found myself heading to the gym location where the evaluations are held. I got to the gym, and headed to the locker room to change into my workout gear.
As soon as I opened the door, I was greeted to a rear view of a very confident, very naked older woman. Now, it would be one thing if she was just, you know, in the process of getting changed or something. But she had one foot propped up on the bench between the lockers, and was shaving. Her bikini area. Next to people who were accessing their lockers.
Isn't that crazy? I don't care if you're super comfortable being naked -- HYGIENE, PEOPLE!!!
Anyway, it got me thinking about some of my other Gym Pet Peeves:
Gym Pet Peeves
- Slamming/dropping heavy weights on the floor -- I find this so disruptive & inconsiderate of other people!
- Not wiping off machines after using them -- again, hygiene!
- Talking on the phone -- especially if you're hogging a machine/area while you talk on the phone!
- Not putting weights back after using them
- Commenting on my workout in a jokingly negative way -- saying things like "Is that ALL you're doing today", etc -- buzz off!
- Interrupting my workout to chitchat -- workout time is precious! Let people focus!
Like I said, I don't have to deal with these things on a regular basis anymore, but they were definitely some of my least favorite parts about going to a large gym!
- Do you agree with my Gym Pet Peeve list? What would you add to it?
- Do you have any funny gym/locker room stories to share? I can't be the only one...
Have a great day, Friends!